Ampol has returned in 2020 which sees the Caltex StarCard holders transition over to the AmpolCard. The AmpolCard can help cut your fuel costs with ongoing pump discounts of 2c/l off regular fuel and 4c/l off premium Amplify 98 fuels. Ampol's 1,900 strong service stations Australia-wide means you'll be able to find a station near you.
Pros & Cons
What's not so good?
Previously known as the Caltex StarCard prior to transitioning to the Ampol brand, the AmpolCard is a corporate fuel card for Australian businesses. With a monthly fee of $2.95 per card, the AmpolCard can help you cut your fleet’s fuel costs by up to 4 cents per litre on premium Amplify 98 fuels, as well as 2 cents per litre off regular petrol or diesel. Not to mention you can receive 10% off packaged engine oils and 5% off convenience items at certain Ampol stations.
With 1,900 service stations across the country (including Woolworths Metro and Foodary outlets, in addition to 240 trucks stops) you can easily find an Ampol station near you (you can also the AmpolCard at Caltex Caltex locations that haven’t transitioned to the Ampol brand yet).
- Save 4c per litre on Amplify Premium petrol, 3c per litre on Amplify Premium diesel, 2c per litre on regular petrol and diesel
- $2.95 per card per month, including GST ($34.50 per annum)
- Get 10% off packaged engine oils and 5% off Secure Parking & convenience items
- 1,900 service sites across Australia
- Charge extras like tolls and servicing to your card (additional cost)
- Streamline account management with Xero and MYOB integration
- Security features include PIN number, odometer reading or order number
- $0 to get a replacement or lost card
Ampol also offers AmpolCash, which is a prepaid fuel card that’s similar to a gift card. AmpolCash is available to buy from participating Ampol service stations. You can also order AmpolCash online as either the Classic (physical) card or as a digital card that can be instantly downloaded to your smartphone for cardless payments. It can be purchased in multiple denominations of $25, $50, $100, $250 and $500.
How to pay your AmpolCard
You can pay your AmpolCard via direct debit from:
- a nominated bank account
- a nominated credit card
Your AmpolCard payment will be debited on a monthly basis (the 14th or 21st of every month) from your nominated account. The AmpolCard also offers up to 14 days interest-free on new transactions.
Note: credit card transactions attract a service fee, which will be charged on your next month’s statement/invoice. The current surcharge rates are:
- Visa – 0.53%
- MasterCard – 0.73%
- Amex – 2.1%
Ampol has a great fuel card offering here which begins with fixed price fuel discounts of 2/cl off regular fuels and 4c/l off premium Amplify 98 fuels. While their $2.95/m per card fee structure isn’t the cheapest when compared to other fuel cards, it is very easy to understand and calculate. Extras like charging road tolls to the account, servicing or roadside assist is nice, but it is an optional extra you must pay for:
- $0.50/m per vehicle to enable tolls (like Linkt) across Australia
- $2.00/m per vehicle to enable Services & Repairs across 5,000 non-fuel partners
- $5.25/m per vehicle to enable Roadside Assistance
AmpolCard also offers an additional volume discount through the NTN (National Truck Network (NTN). Depending on your monthly volume, you can get up to 7c p/l on regular diesel and premium diesel at dedicated NTN Truck Sites. After 6 months trading with AmpolCard, you can ask for an account review and you might receive additional discounts.
Ampol also has simpler non-business/personal fuel cards with AmpolCard Debit and AmpolCash. The AmpolCard Debit has the same fuel discount benefits as the normal AmpolCard but draws funds directly from your bank account, while AmpolCash is simply a prepaid card – there are no fuel benefits.
Getting the most out of the AmpolCard
To get the most out of the card your business should already use Ampol stations regularly and have comparable services like Roadside Assist, which you could consolidate. Discounts from vehicle servicing and repairs may also offset the additional monthly charges, but these discounts don’t apply on top of other special promotions (e.g. buy 3 tyres, get 1 free).
AmpolCard Fuel Card options
AmpolCard only offers one card type. However, there are a range of card management options to track and personalise each individual card to the user’s needs. This includes purchase restrictions, PIN security, online transaction tracking and management and the ability to link to Xero and MYOB accounting software.
Applying for an AmpolCard Fuel Card
You can apply for an AmpolCard Fuel Card online if you’re a director, partner, owner or trustee of the business. You must also meet the following criteria/have the below details handy:
- 18 years or older
- You must be a director, partner, trustee or the business owner
- Your ABN
- Your driver’s license
- Your bank details
- Your business must have been trading for at least 6 months
- Your AmpolCard will be used wholly or predominantly for business purposes
Other important things to note when applying for an AmpolCard online
When applying for an AmpolCard, it’s important to note that popular optional services have already been pre-selected on the application form. You should read the details of these pre-selected services carefully and uncheck the ones not appropriate for your business. If you’re applying on behalf of a company or trust, you will also need to sign a Deed of Guarantee, Indemnity and Charge. This will be sent to you once you’ve submitted your application.
Applying for an AmpolCash Fuel Card
- Personal consumer card. Personal consumer cards can be purchased online with a credit card. You’ll need to choose your denomination and number of cards, as well as your name, billing address, and credit card details.
- Corporate AmpolCash cards must be ordered via the online form. An invoice will be created and payment made via direct deposit or cheque. You will need to provide details of your company including ABN and contact details, billing and delivery addresses. You will also need to choose the card denomination and number of cards needed, as well as a delivery method (at an additional cost.
AmpolCard Customer Support
AmpolCard has a range of customer support and service options, including:
- Access to customer service support and myAmpol 24/7
- Paperless Xero and MYOB expense management
- Safe contactless card payments
- Dedicated app, including contactless payment which allows you to pay for fuel safely from the comfort of your vehicle.
Ampol partners with Woolworths Everyday Rewards to help your business save more. Collect points on fuel or in-store purchases:
- Collect 2 points per litre on Premium fuel
- Collect 1 point per litre on regular fuel
- Collect 1 point per $1 spent on shop and servicing
You must already have an existing Woolworths Everyday Rewards account to claim these rewards. You can link only one Rewards card to your AmpolCard account, which is usually either the business’s Rewards card or the account holder’s card.
AmpolCard Extras (for additional $)
You can add Roadside Assistance or Services and Repairs to your AmpolCard and rest easy knowing you’re covered even when a vehicle breaks down.
- Roadside Assistance offers Australia-wide coverage 24/7 and unlimited callouts for minor breakdowns ($5.25 extra per month per vehicle).
- Services and Repairs can help you save up to 15% on servicing from tyres to tuning on all makes and models ($2.00 extra per month per vehicle). Ampol service and repair partners include Bob Jane T-Marts and O’Brien.
Discounts & Fees
Minimum criteria for this card
Use of terms “popular”, “best” and “top” on this website are not product ratings or recommendations and are subject to our general disclaimer. The results you receive from using Fuelcard.report tools respond to your personal data inputs from information available to Fuelcard.report at that time.
General Disclaimer: Fuelcard.report is a free-to-use fuel card comparison website designed to help Australian businesses compare, review, and self-select a fuel card product. Fuelcard.report does not provide any fuel cards. You are not a client of Fuelcard.report. If you decide enquire about a fuel card, you should be aware you will be dealing with our partner fuel card providers and not Fuelcard.report. If you need financial advice you should obtain assistance from a qualified licensed advisor. Ordinarily Fuelcard.report is notified of any changes relevant to fuel cards listed on the website, such as card fees, with updates made in a timely manner. Even so, it is possible that one or more changes may occur without our knowledge. Fuelcard.report will not accept liability for incorrect information. Fuelcard.report does not list every fuel card on the market. Fuelcard.report may receive a commission when fuel cards are enquired or applied for as a result of the outbound links on this site. Make sure you always read the fuel card provider’s small print before you apply. Eligibility and credit criteria are at play when you apply for a fuel card.